Inspiration Lifestyle

Good Read of the Year #GIRLBOSS

Nasty Gal January 18, 2016
IMG_5870

IMG_5864IMG_5870FullSizeRender

This was my favourite book in 2015 and thought I’d share with all, as January is a month for motivation and empowerment, go girl!

As long as I can remember, I’ve not read such an empowering book for a long while, sorry if I fell asleep on the plane with LEAN IN, as I felt much resonated with this book and pick it as Good Read of the Year.  Needless to elaborate who and what this book is about, yes, the vintage-cool girl Los Angeles hot e-commerce Nasty Gal, and the one and only- Sophia Amoruso.

Reading books about business and entrepreneurs is essential in life, we learn from other’s mistakes and I seek these books as people sharing their wisdom of knowledges, why not absorb them if they want to share? Not to say that I’ve read a lot of them, since sometimes they tend to get bored or we do not felt related to, but keep learning and reading are always a good goal. 🙂  CEO Sophia Amoruso is not the typical 9-5 boss or the girl who had her resumes check with prestigious schools, she is down-to-earth, needless to say she is someone like us trying to find ways to make ends meet. She works her way from the bottom up, a better definition would be- same as the 99% normal people like us who create ourselves worthy not through any connections or relationships.

#GIRLBOSS is very witty, an unstoppable book that said about life close to you and me and will keep you going for hours! I would not spill the bean what’s in there as I hope you’ll be able to find a piece of yourself through lines as we girls in our 20-x-something creating our states of empire.   If you are still in university and can read Chinese(as i’ve not written these articles in English back then), can go ahead to find how to build yourself starting university from Personal where I share how I scored part time jobs and internship back in university. One thing I would tell myself back in the days would be- built a portfolio site with the simplest way starting from a blog, and don’t let your friend’s stupid comments stop you, like what I am doing right now 🙂

My favourite quote from the book:  Failure is your invention

“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” -George Bernard Shaw

x Tiff

這是我2015年最喜歡的一本書,在新的一年的第一個月裡分享這一本振奮人心,給予靈感與力量的一本書給大家。希望今年的你一切都可以很順心,充滿鬥志!

已經有一段時間,沒有從書中感到文字的魅力暨引人深省的力量,很抱歉在飛機上看挺身而進看到睡著,但我想相對之下這一本書更能與我自身經驗產生許多共鳴,因此將它選為年度好讀物。  不用多說這一本書在描述誰與娓娓道來什麼故事:洛杉磯獨樹一格復古暨潮流購物網站Nasty Gal 和CEO Sophia Amoruso: 正妹CEO:她從街頭流浪妹變身億萬女老闆

閱讀企業家與品牌集團如何經營他們的王國故事對於我們的生活是很重要,從中學習他人的經驗、失敗經歷,我也將這些書視為企業家的大氣度樂意分享他們的心血結晶。當他人願意分享時,我們何不細細聆聽呢? 這兒不是說我看了很多相關書,畢竟有時候有些內容也挺無聊也與自己的連結度甚低無法感興趣,但保持學習與閱讀一直都是很重要的習慣 🙂  CEO Sophia Amoruso 不是我們耳熟朝九晚五系列老闆,攤開履歷如數家珍的名校學歷,她與我們一樣只是平凡人盡心盡力努力生活。 她從最基層開始做起,我們這樣說好了−她與99%的我們一樣:創造自己的價值而非靠關係擁有今天。

#GIRLBOSS 是一本詼諧機智、貼近我們生活,一看就欲罷不能的一本書。在這裡就不多透露書裡寫了什麼,等你自行探索,從書中找到一塊似曾相似屬於自己的地方,敬給創造自己帝國20歲的我們。若你還在唸大學,可以看Personal系列文章來找尋創造自己價值的方式。現在回過頭來看,若我還是大學生我會建議自己:建立作品集,從最簡單的部落格開始,也別讓一些朋友的糟留言阻止你向前的力量。

書中最喜歡的名言是: 失敗是一種發明

“人生不是在找尋自己,而是在創造自己” -George Bernard Shaw

x Tiff

You Might Also Like

33 Comments

• Reply Juliet February 22, 2016 at 11:47

Hey good find! I’ve started listening to the girlboss podcast by Sophie, her positive vibe is simply contagious, isn’t it? I love your review about her book, need to check it out for sure. Cheers for sharing good vibes xx
    Juliet

• Reply Tiff April 3, 2016 at 14:56

Hi Juliet

Thanks for stopping by. She is amazing, down-to-earth witty contagious woman, do check the book out, I’m sure you’ll love it just like I do.
      Happy reading !

xx Tiff

• Reply Christina February 19, 2016 at 08:10

The perfect read to kick off the new year! Cheers to continued success!

• Reply Tiff April 3, 2016 at 15:17

Cheers to wonderful women like you!

x Tiff

• Reply Patricia February 18, 2016 at 03:38

Amazing post, dear! 🙂 Do you want to follow each other? If yes, please follow me with GFC write a comment
    and I follow you back 🙂

With love.
    Patricia

• Reply Tiff April 3, 2016 at 15:19

Thanks for stopping by Patricia, a neat blog you have on the site 🙂
      Will stop by often to read your post

x Tiff

• Reply ~ carmen ~ February 1, 2016 at 06:40

I’m so behind because I have yet to read this book. Going to write it down at & put it on my list immediately. :]

// ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

• Reply Tiff February 5, 2016 at 13:35

go go read it Carmen x 🙂

• Reply Amandine January 27, 2016 at 17:25

Hi Tiff,

Thanks for sharing this empowering book. I think I’m gonna buy it for my CNY reading time lol.
    Btw can you share with me about this blog application? I found this system elegant and clear.
    wanna build one and jot down my daily life as well 🙂 Much appreciated!

• Reply Amandine February 4, 2016 at 11:37

Hi Tiff,

I mean the back-end system. Thanks for your kind reply.

• Reply Tiff February 5, 2016 at 13:42

Hi Amandine,

My back-end system is powered by wordpress.org, which I had an engineer to built up the site.
        The domain name, server are by godaddy, layout is by a web design team.
        I did not use the original template wordpress provide as I could not find one that suits my personality so I built from scratch.
        Hope that answer your questions, if not, do let me know how I can help you out!
        Wish you a Happy Chinese New Year, it’ll be a good read for this long holiday x

Cheers, Tiffany

• Reply Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's January 26, 2016 at 10:21

I’ve heard so much about this book over the past year! It’s on my TBR list, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy 🙂 (yup yup I’m a bit late to the game) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

• Reply Tiff February 5, 2016 at 13:29

never late than never Audrey, get in game on this year 😉 x

• Reply Erica January 26, 2016 at 06:04

Sounds amazing, I really need to delve into this book! So happy to hear it inspired you 🙂

Erica

• Reply Tiff February 5, 2016 at 13:22

it inspire me a lot. your blog is an inspiration of mine as well Erica 🙂 x

• Reply Aki! January 23, 2016 at 13:45

I have heard so many things about this book! Some positive, some negative… I’ll have to check it out.

• Reply Tiff January 24, 2016 at 18:23

well, just go read it, and see how you think about it 😀 x

• Reply Joyce January 20, 2016 at 23:31

I’ve heard so many good things about this book, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really need to just go pick it up and read it. Last year I read Lean In, but like you said, this book is probably a lot more entertaining haha

Characters & Carry-ons

• Reply Tiff January 24, 2016 at 18:20

bahaha, i guess you didn’t find that interesting eh? 😉
      it’s a good read, and i am sure it’s better especially snowy days like this
      stay warm, safe, and bundle up, i saw pics of the crazy snow storm on the east coast xx

• Reply carsla January 19, 2016 at 16:54

i’ve been meaning to read this!

http://www.connect-the-cloths.com ♥ | xoxo

• Reply Tiff January 24, 2016 at 18:14

Take the action and read it! x

• Reply Elizabeth T. January 19, 2016 at 14:02

I’ve always wanted to read this book too! It’s such an inspirational true story! 🙂 Hoping we’ll find even more great reads this year as well!

XO, Elizabeth

• Reply Tiff January 24, 2016 at 18:13

Please share with me any good books your read this year as well Elizabeth x

• Reply winnie January 19, 2016 at 05:45

I keep meaning to pick up this book and read it – it sounds like such an inspiring read! Thanks for reminding me Tiff!

• Reply Tiff January 19, 2016 at 13:50

hope you get to read it soon Winnie, it’s a nice read at the beginning of the year, hope you’ll enjoy it just like i do 🙂 x

• Reply sileas January 19, 2016 at 03:48

Sounds so motivating and inspiring, if I wasn’t so bad with reading :p I shall have a look at that one at least, your description really made me curious!

• Reply Tiff January 19, 2016 at 13:40

nah Sileas~~ it’s not hard to read or boring at all cause it’s really really funny, the way she wrote it speaks the mind off everyone’s, i think you’ll find it interesting! 😀 x

• Reply Tiffany January 19, 2016 at 03:46

i read this book too! and i love it, its so inspiring. at first i was afraid it would be dull (because of the title), but it turns out to be quite interesting! 🙂

• Reply Tiff January 19, 2016 at 13:38

i know…sometimes title may scared us off, but the content won’t. i love how she wrote the book, i would suppose chinese version can’t translate those adjectives she murmur in the book x

• Reply Mitzie Mee January 19, 2016 at 00:48

I’ve heard so much about this book now, I think I need to go and buy it:)

• Reply Tiff January 19, 2016 at 13:34

do buy it Mitzie, it’s absolutely worth it and i bet you’ll love it 🙂 x

• Reply annie lee January 19, 2016 at 00:05

i read this book last year – quite an inspirational one right? 🙂 makes me wanna just go ahead and pursue my dream!

• Reply Tiff January 19, 2016 at 13:33

RIGHT! felt like can do anything after reading it!!!! x